I guess it is time for some review….
A week ago Thursday we had small group as we do every week only this time Molly and I had planned a special event of going for a hike along the river a little ways from base. As we met by the truck the skies were growing dark but the rain almost always misses us because we life in a basin and that is just how life is for us. It had been a warm day so some not so bright ones of us, such as myself, were in tank tops and did not bother to grab hoodies. The truck was quite small so the girls hopped in the trunk and we began our journey praying that the police would not catch us. We arrived by the river just as the wind picked up as the temperature began to drop. We followed Molly to what she had believed to be a nice walk area along the river only to find ourselves sinking in mud. It kind of reminded me of a hike my mom, Becky, and I went on last year… We ditched the idea of walking along the river and instead walked don the ledge above the river until. It began to drip a little bit and was quite cold but we continued on. And the nit hailed. We ran, we screamed, especially those of us in tank tops, we ran faster. I was the first to make it back to the truck only to find it locked. I crouched beside it to guard myself from the hail but it did nothing. Finally we were all there, the truck was unlocked and we jumped in and surprise all seven of us and the dog fit. Back at the base, where all was dry and sunny, we had some hot chocolate and hung out for a while. Not long before small groups ended the rain at last reached the base it poured a few minutes and then moved on.
That Friday was an all base work day. After many years of building and waiting and building and waiting the new admin building was ready to be moved into. We spent the day cleaning and transporting office stuff from the old office trailer to the beautiful new big log office building. A week later things are still a bit chaotic in the building but usable. Now if only we could get the money to buy a boiler and carpet so we don’t freeze.
The day after moving day was my birthday. It was a Saturday so everyone was free to run about as they pleased. I decided to have a lazy day, after all the only exciting thing to do around here is go shopping in Cody and that mean spending money on things I don’t need. Bad idea. I started the day by going out to breakfast with my roommate. I then spent a few hours hanging in the kitchen watching a couple of the girls work on their journals, which was actually rather exciting because unlike my DTS these girls get creative and buy all sorts of fun stickers and patches and have all kinds of fun magazines to cut stuff out of, and ribbons, and bows, and many different patterns of scrapbook paper…It is pretty much amazing. Later in the afternoon I went o my room to rest and chill and have some me time. The director's wife showed up at my door with a card and a container of sorbet ice cream. This is a real treat since I am allergic to dairy and can’t have real ice cream. Within half an hour the entire container was history. At dinner I was given a whole entire bag of lollipops and some fun cards that sing and talk and stuff, and I was given roses, and a cool pair of earrings. We ended the day with watching a movie in the DTS classroom. All of that to make sure everyone knows that I had a good birthday...
Note: this post was actually written on Saturday October 11 but due to lack of internet could not be posted until now

0 comments:
Post a Comment