I'm back!!! After a lovely few days in New York printing and mailing newsletters, taking care of banking, doing some shopping i cant really do out in the boonies of Wyoming, enjoying my mother's wedding, chilling for a day, and going to church, I have returned to Wyoming.
I came in late last night to a down pour, a rare thing out here and very welcomed due to some atrocious fires nearby. When the flight attendant said to be careful walking down the steps on to the tarmac i was like, "whatever, i can handle rain," Right. Trudging through two inches of water with water pouring on you in bucket fulls while wearing four inch heals and carrying a twenty pound bulging large laptop case really is not that easy.
Driving through Cody on the way back from the airport I discovered something, when a place does not get rain very often they don't understand things like drainage systems. All of the streets were flooded. We were sending water spraying everywhere. There was gas station we passed that had water flowing in all different directions and it was several inches deep. Thankfully the rain cleared up some over night.
Today is of course Labor Day, This morning was the parade which was wet and cold but thankfully it did not pour during the parade, nope, it waited for the rodeo. The parade was very western with tractors and lots of old cars and a float made of a lawn mower pulling a little trailer with a little bit of decoration and some strangely dressed people. There was a little covered wagon pulled by miniature horses, and of course a couple of fire engines. The museum had a nice float with pictures covering many years of history; the float quite sadly got drenched. There were some other things in the parade as well like the girls volleyball team, the Masons, etc and of course the flag bearers who were from Western Frontiers.
The rodeo was entertaining in that everyone got covered in mud, especially the rough stock riders. One of our DTS students rode a bronc and came out with mud all over his ears. That was after he got changed I imagine he had mud all over his clothing before. Another DTS student rode a bull and did a head dive into a very deep mud hole. He came up with a perfect facial, brown clothing, and hurting ribs. He was even nice enough to share his mud with one of the DTS leaders who made the unkind remark of, "that was a lot of money for a nasty facial." Throughout this entire rodeo I was cold, very cold. You see I am a very smart chick. I don't have anything to waterproof my boots. Deduction? i won't waterproof them. I am a smart chick, but I already mentioned that. I did wear a nice warm coat but with frozen toes it was hardly noticeable and it also was not waterproof so after a couple of hours, i was wet. The good news is that i apparently look like a good coat hanger so once it stopped raining i got to wear a nice long rain coat, perhaps a bit too long since it drug on the ground a couple inches. Eventually my toes lost feeling and I was happy. Then i tried to walk down the hill covered in slippery mud and discovered that not being able to feel your toes is a hindrance not an asset. You see I am very smart.
Now all of the students are being good little children and working on there journals and book reports due tomorrow while the staff chill. Tomorrow life will return to normal as I once again move rooms. Hopefully this time to stay.
Monday, September 1, 2008
"Vacation's" Over
Posted by Alissa at 7:59 PM
Labels: DTS, Life at WF, Life in NY, Rodeo, Travels
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment