CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Fun At The Crossroads

So far it has been a beautiful and fun day. A day when you realized, “wow, I come from a small strange town.” Yes, today was Lima Crossroads Day.

A day of wall climbing…

Trinket shopping…

Balloon selling, strange dressing, a day of finding out just how weird some people in the area are. And this year a day of nominating friends to go to jail and if you are said friend, a day of raising bail money to get out...

But most importantly it is a day of bed racing.

What is bed racing you ask? Well it is a timed race. Each racer starts at the starting line and races towards a blue curb down the road where they stop and attempt to shoot baskets in a basket ball hoop set up a few feet back...

They only get seven chances and then they race half way back to the starting point where there is a big empty container with a very small opening on top. Several feet away is a big barrel of yellow water and a bed pan. They have to scoop water with the bed pan run over to the empty container and try to dump as much water as possible int eh small opening if the container. they go back and forth with the water until the container is full and then they race to the finish/start line...

Originally I went down to the crossroads on my own but during the bed race I met up with a friend. Together we headed through the vendors that had set up their unique sale items in a maze of white tents. As we were walking through the last row of tents we past one that was selling ransom crochet and knitted items. Suddenly an older gentleman popped out of the tens and called to us. “Hey girls let me show you something.” In his hand he held a tiny, about one inch long crochet cradle with a tiny baby in it.

“This is a handmade cradle with a baby in it.” He explained. “If you touch it you get pregnant” He then proceeded to reach out and tap my arm with it. “And when you pull on these strings on the end is folds up into a little tiny purse.” He explained as he demonstrated for us.

My friend and I commented that it was nice and “interesting” the whole time trying to back away from him. I thought he would try and sell us something but no, as soon as he finished his spiel he smiled, said good day and headed back to his tent which by then was a few tents back. I guess he was just bored and we looked like perfect targets. I am not really sure what he was about, but I do know this; Lima is a small town with small town people and I aint pregnant.

2 comments:

Hannah Joy said...

I'm glad to know about the last part...wasn't sure at first...JK! LOL!

Alissa said...

i strongly believe in over clarifying things.