CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 18, 2011

Thursday in Antigua

Thursday was our day off. We went to Antigua to shop at the market for the day. Apparently I was so tired afterwards that I did not journal about it and I did not take pictures either. We had to designated picture takers for the trip and I let them do it all. Anyway, there is not much to excite you with about the day. We shopped, it was fun, bought lots of stuff, bargained. I probably should have bargained more than I did but, oh well, I got everything I wanted.

For lunch we ate at an amazing restaurant. One unexpected and wonderful thing about this trip was the fact that it was much easier for me to find food to eat in Guatemala then in the States. In the stet we put dairy in everything but they really do not do that in other countries like Guatemala. On top oh that the food was amazing and flavorful without being super spicy. I was a very happy girl.

It was also very nice to be out and about for the day. Most of the time in Guatemala we were either at the hotel or at an orphanage. we never walked around outside a gated area except for when we were in Antigua. We did not even open the windows of our vehicles for fear that people would see white people in a car and assume we had lots of money and stop us at gun point and demand all our belonging be handed over. They have had a lot of problems with bus drivers being held up for their money. Most often they are stopped by motorcyclists. They now have laws in Guatemala city that you cannot have a passenger on a motorcycle because they are the ones who carry the gun. Motorcyclist are also required to wear a helmet with their license on it and a jacket with the license number on it.

That is enough random facts for the day.

0 comments: