CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

First day in Guatemala

Last Tuesday, m y first full day in Guatemala, began at 6:00 a.m. Thankfully the son was already up at that time so it did not feel as much like the awful hour that it is. Now, for the last two years or so I have been very good about my caffeine intake, until last week. As you may have already guessed my days began and ended with coffee, everyday.

Anyhow, that was little off subject. We spent the day Tuesday at Amor Del Nino. This orphanage is run by an American couple who originally started the orphanage as a home for special need orphans. When Guatemala shut down all international adoptions and there was no longer money to be made on babies, orphanages did not want the babies. As the needs of the country changed so did the vision of Amor Del Nino. Now, instead of just being a home for children with special needs, they also take in babies, lots of babies. The orphanage now has 54 children. 35 of those children are two years old or younger.

Here is the link to the web page for the home

http://www.lovethechild.org/AmorDelNino/Love_The_Child-Amor_Del_Nino-A_Childrens_Home_in_Guatemala.html

We spent three days last week at this home. of course, a good portion of the time was sent bouncing along n the ORI van. it seemed to take an average f an hour and a half to get anywhere we needed to go. Amazingly enough, I never got bored staring out the window at Guatemala City.

Tuesday morning at the home, I helped paint in two of two of the bed rooms at the orphanage. I may not have gotten a tan while I was down south but for one day I did have whole lot of brown freckles.

During lunch break we did all sit out in the sun in an attempt to get at lest a but of a tan. the elevation was around 7,00 feet so you would think I would have at least ceased to glow like a light bulb.

In the afternoon I held the little babies. meanwhile, the rest of the team was sewing mattress covers, the ORI guys were up on ladders painting, and people were doing activities with the older children and playing with the toddlers. A few people went out in the ORI truck to deliver food to other orphanages.

0 comments: