I was reading an article on line and came a cross an entertaining word that I doubt i will ever attempt to say aloud but feel the need to share with all of you, in writing. For clarification purposes, it is not the meaning of the word that I find entertaining. I wish that there was no need for a word of such nature. It is simply from the word itself that I derive my amusement.
scha·den·freu·de (shahd-n-froi-duh)
–noun
satisfaction or pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune.
In my own words.... Muahahahahaah!
Origin:
1890–95; G, equiv. to Schaden harm + Freude joy
Example Sentences:
Schadenfreude can be felt by both the rich and poor.
"What a fearful thing is it that any language should have a word expressive of the pleasure which men feel at the calamities of others; for the existence of the word bears testimony to the existence of the thing. And yet in more than one such a word is found. ... In the Greek epikhairekakia, in the German, 'Schadenfreude.' " [Richard C. Trench, "On the Study of Words," 1852]

1 comments:
I thought of AFV; how many times do we laugh at someone's misfortune on that show? Just a thought....muahahahah!
Post a Comment